Author

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 08:56:25 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I found this link while surfing the net.

http://www.visitingdc.com/imag...dianapolis-airport-address.jpg

I'm also attaching the image to this post in the event the image changes. I do not take credit for the image. It is simply for archiving purposes.

Not the cleared area across I-70. That area is where the taxiway would go over the interstate. Looking at the pic I'd guess it was taken in July or August of 2007. Has anyone been around that area that can comment on whether work is being done on the taxiway or not?

indianapolis-airport-address.jpg
Attached File: indianapolis-airport-address.jpg
Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 09:51:12 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

If you're talking about the cleared area southeast of I-70, what makes you think it's for the taxiway? You can see the same area on maps.live.com, and it's an irregularly shaped area where the dirt was messed around. It's between the radar tower and the radio tower site. But it looks to me like it was a place where they parked a bunch of trucks, maybe a concrete mixer, during the I-70 construction.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:28:51 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Here is an earlier image of that area from Google Maps. this looks to be not that long after I-70 was completed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...p;z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

I'll check out your maps link. Not sure I've ever seen that site.

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14:43 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I love that link you posted. That cleaning isn't for a taxiway. But perhaps it is to make room for a building that must be moved. The taxiway will go right through what looks like a radar building.

http://www.in.gov/dot/div/spec...70airport/study/pics/hot02.jpg

This guy sits right in the middle of where the taxiway goes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...p;z=19&iwloc=addr&om=1

That clearing looks like it may have been graded and perhaps the new building will go there. In that DOT image there is some kind of blue marking near where that cleared spot is.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:13:21 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Actually, in the older image, it looks like there's a bad low spot in the field between the two radar/radio sites. Maybe in the newest image, they've graded the area and put in drainage of some sort? Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:35:11 am

Indy
Site Admin

Look at these links. The Google image is slightly older. The MSN (live.com) image looks pretty recent. The images are from almost the exact same point so you can see how they've changed. What is going on?

Google - older image
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...p;z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1

MSN - newer image
http://maps.live.com/default.a...mp;explore=sst.0&encType=1

Boofer

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 03:47:22 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

It really looks to me like the land has been drained for farming. In the older picture, taken when crops are coming up in the the spring, you can tell that the whole area had a water problem and the soybeans weren't coming up. Whoever farms that land probably came in and deep-plowed it all to remove hardpan layer and alleviate soil compaction. It doesn't look at all to me like the kind of grading you'd have prior to constructing anything - there are no erosion fences nor evidence of any surveyor's markers that delineate the area to be constructed, and the area is too irregularly shaped to be a construction site.

Indy

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 03:56:54 pm

Indy
Site Admin

To me it had looked like grade work. Guess we shall see whenever the image updates Smile

A ton of grading will be needed for the runway and the taxiway. I would think all that green space (empty area) between the interstate and the buildings/subdivision will need to be graded.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 04:30:15 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

But you'll hear a LOT about a third runway LONG before any ground gets scratched. Even though they already have the land and it's been in many long-range plans, the airport authority will still have to do environmental impact studies, etc. Public hearings, notifications, permits, blah, blah, blah.And you can expect some people will do some bitching.

Indy

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 06:38:06 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Do we know whether they have already done the environmental impact studies? Would public hearings be held if FX was the one to build it?

Boofer

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:39:44 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

FedEx is NOT building the runway. The airports authority will build it.

Indy

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:26:13 am

Indy
Site Admin

BTW we drove by the FedEx facility today and something is going on over there but don't know what it is.

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 09:10:17 pm

They are building a bridge over the highway that will join Hanah Ave. on the other side, probably for the FDX trucks to reduce traffic load for the terminal

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 09:44:24 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Indyaviationboy wrote:

They are building a bridge over the highway that will join Hanah Ave. on the other side, probably for the FDX trucks to reduce traffic load for the terminal

Ah yes. Hanah. Good call. Checked out a map and that is about the point where Hanah meets I-70.

Forum Index  >  Fedex In General  >  Fedex preparing to build new runway?

Pages(s):  1