Author

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 05:12:31 am

Indy
Site Admin

It is official....

"Package delivery giant FedEx Corp. is in talks with the Indianapolis International Airport to expand its operations here, airport officials said Monday.

Those officials would not discuss the scope of the proposed expansion, which involves developing more space for the company to park planes and, therefore, move more freight.

Airport officials are examining what steps might be needed for FedEx to expand its 300-acre facility. They hope to conclude their study within about 60 days."

Source: http://www.indystar.com/apps/p...D=/20060110/BUSINESS/601100481

Only thing now is how big? I've heard Fedex is at phase 5 of 13. The expansion could be as small as additional ramp space or as big as ramp space, sorting facility expansion and the 3rd runway. We shall see in the next few months.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:40:22 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

This sounds like normal, organic expansion to me. Their business is growing and they need more room. FedEx already has said that MEM is out of room to grow, so their expansion will be at IND, and IND will eventually become the largest hub.

Look for another expansion when their A380s come on line in 2008. They're probably going to need a separate area for those big bitches. As for the third runway, I wouldn't expect that until flights at IND start getting up to 40-50 arrivals per hour at peak. Right now, the peak arrivals demand is between 11pm and 1am, when a huge bank of FedEx flights land. About 47 flights land in that 2-hour period; I think it would have to almost double before the third runway becomes necessary.

Also look for IND to move up the rankings of the US's busiest cargo airports when the big birds start landing here. In 2004, IND was the #8 cargo airport, with 4.63 billion pounds landed (although that counts ANC at the #1 spot, which in many cases is simply a refueling stop). I suspect that probably increased by about 100 million pounds this year, which may have pushed IND up to #7, possibly overtaking ORD. When the first three A380's go into service for FedEx, that will add about 200 million pounds to IND's cargo stats. When all of the first 10 are in full use, by 2011, that represents an increase of 657 million pounds annually for the A380 program. If the additional 10 aircraft for which they have options are added to that, and they all hub at IND, then the total additional cargo due to the A380 would be about 1.32 billion pounds landed. With modest growth of 2% annually in cargo WITHOUT the A380, IND should land about 5.9 billion pounds of cargo by 2015. Including the full complement of the A380 fleet, IND should be in the range of 7.1 to 7.3 billion pounds by 2015. That would put IND at #4 on the 2004 list.

My prediction - IND will handle close to 10 billion pounds of landed freight by 2015. It will be the third busiest airport for cargo, not counting ANC. The FedEx workforce at IND will number about 12,000. And the old UA maintenance hub will handle the work for the A380.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:43:24 pm

Indy
Site Admin

The 3rd runway might be necessary for the A380 because it hasn't been decided yet what the runway width requirements will be. A 150' wide runway may not get approval for every day A380 use. And that is what all 3 IND runways are currently. Also if IND becomes the largest Fedex hub then it will be the #1 cargo airport in the world as MEM is currently #1 in the world.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 06:46:39 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I believe the plan for upgrading to group VI status includes widening the runways to 200' each and adding some shoulder width. BAA plans to have the airport up to Group VI standards by 2009, when it expects to begin receiving 2 A380 flights per day.

It would also be an alternative airport for A380 diversions. With IND and MEM slated to be group VI capable about the same time, each would probably be the other's primary diversion. It's still unsure whether and when ORD will be group VI capable, but if it is, IND will certainly be the primary diversion for those aircraft.

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 07:28:37 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Group VI? I learned something new today. I had never heard that term used before. I wonder if those projects are part of the current airport expansion? I would guess that a widening project like that would be expensive and would result in a runway being closed until the widening is complete.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:16:18 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Group VI is the category of aircraft the size of the A380. Group V, for comparison, refers to aircraft the size of the 747. An airport that is certified to the Group VI standard can accept the A380. IND will be among the first eight or nine airports in the U.S. (SFO, LAX, JFK, MIA, IAD, MEM, ANC, and maybe ORD by 2008-9, with EWR, MCO, and HNL by 2010) that will be able to handle the beast. I believe SFO will be the very first, and Singapore Airlines might be the first to fly it from the U.S. on its SFO-SIN route.

The other airports among the first to be Group VI certified include CDG, LHR, FRA, SYD, DXB, SIN, PEK, PVG, and a new terminal at CAN. I think KUL, HKG, and NRT are possibilities, too.

One issue with the plane is having enough Group VI airports along the intended routes for the A380 in case of diversion. It's all good and fine for Emirates that DXB and SIN can handle the bird, but if it has to divert, there's no airport in between that can handle it. So Airbus is probably going to have to subsidize some airport upgrades in a few strategic locations around the world.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40:27 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Actually, it looks like UPS has ordered 10+10 of the A380's too, and SDF is now among the group of airports upgrading to Group VI. So looks like the A380F freighters will be common sights at IND, MEM, and SDF.

Forum Index  >  Fedex Hub Expansion  >  Fedex Looks To Expand In IND

Pages(s):  1