Author

Indy

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 09:50:29 am

Indy
Site Admin

November 7th AirTran is returning service to Ft. Lauderdale. On December 20th they add a 2nd daily departure. The 2nd flight runs through April 14th. No idea how long the first flight will remain. The strange thing is that starting November 7th the first flight is at 9am. When the 2nd flight gets added the first flight gets moved to after 2pm and the 2nd flight to after 6pm. Does that timing make sense to anyone?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indy

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 02:02:54 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I see they are shifting the MCO flights later as well. The flights are going from 7:00a, 11:41a, and 4:59p to 11:41a, 5:13p, and 7:34p. The shift to the late schedule starts December 20th and stays that way as far out as I can go into the schedule which is the first week in May. I wonder why they are doing this?

Boofer

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 07:29:29 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Sounds to me like they are switching around from an IND overnight (i.e., the last flight in to IND stays here overnight and leaves first thing in the morning around 7 am) to an MCO overnight. This might just be due to operational issues with getting equipment, pilots, and crew scheduled at various airports ex-MCO.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 08:29:44 pm

Indy
Site Admin

They did the same with FLL. It made me wonder if they are going to add a new northern destination or two and are shifting those to basically noon and evening to allow for Florida connections. That way a 10am arriving flight can make the noon connection and an afternoon arriving flight can catch the evening connection. But I have no idea what destinations they would add. I doubt they have the balls to take on NW at MSP or DTW. Or could they be getting ready to add a 4th MCO flight. Perhaps a new morning flight?

Boofer

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 09:07:00 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I really think the telltale is the fact that they had an 11:41 and 4:59 flight before, and after the shift they basically have the same flights now, minus the one early-morning departure and replaced by the late departure. This just tells me that the plane isn't sitting there overnight to make up that 7:00 departure, and the late departure back to MCO makes up the overnight. So I really think it's just an operationally-driven change of schedule.

What's really unfortunate is that my family is looking at a trip to MCO and we would want to leave early the first morning. This change of schedule now gives us one less option to do so. Shame.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:44:43 pm

Indy
Site Admin

You don't think it would be because of connections? An early morning flight wouldn't allow a connection. They have the gates. Why wouldn't they overnight them here? Unless they are trying to work their schedules to allow them to avoid using the common use gates. If it is for new service then we'll know by the end of the year.

Indy

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:29:02 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I've always thought AirTran's scheduling department had some issues. I am finding more evidence of it. Now there is no 2nd daily for FLL scheduled and the only flight will be a morning flight. Instead of FLL getting a 2nd flight it looks today as if Ft. Myers will be getting a 3rd daily flight. I say "today" because the way their scheduling goes it could be changed again tomorrow. Now MCO has their flights shifted later in the day. The earliest MCO departure will be 11:41am. Right now the earliest is 7am.

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  AirTran Returning FLL & Adding 2nd Daily

Pages(s):  1