Author

Indy

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 05:36:03 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I confirmed a couple of things today. One being that NW does have 9 gates at the new terminal and not eight. That is the good news. The bad news is that we are not getting a World Club. At least no time soon. As of now NW has only expressed an interest and has not made a commitment to building a club. Who knows. Maybe they build one to open up next summer during the busy season.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

wanderer

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 07:03:01 pm

I was at the Grand Reveal last night, and was listening to a NWA VP of sales (out of MSP) that said IND may see a Crown Room later in 2009.

The room is there. We were shown where it would be.

Fit2Fly

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 07:46:36 pm

Any word on int'l flights?

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:45:30 pm

haha, thats what we all want to know

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:47:19 pm

Indy
Site Admin

wanderer wrote:

The room is there. We were shown where it would be.

Where would it be? I thought it was supposed to be just beyond security on the A side. You'd exit security and it would be on the wall on the right side. This is before you got to the split where you'd go right to the international gates or left to the regular gates.

wanderer

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:59:52 am

That's where it is Indy. It is behind one of the doors along the wall across from the windows.

International flights: Cancun seasonal service should resume in Jan. Very Happy

Indy

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 01:22:39 am

Indy
Site Admin

The two doors across from the window were labeled. One as some kind of corridor and the other some kind of utility/electrical room. I thought maybe they'd open the wall up there the video display was.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 01:59:39 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

It's ridiculous that IND shouldn't have an airline club of some sort. Hell, Buffalo and Greensboro have US Airways Clubs, for crying out loud. I think Indianapolis should open up a "purple" lounge that could serve all the airlines. Most airports in Europe and many in Asia have these. They're operated by Servisair or Menzees or some other company, and they affiliate with various airlines. I think there's one like this in SAV as well. Basically, you create the lounge and have it serve DL Crown Room, NW WorldClubs, CO PrezClub, UA Red Carpet Club, AA Admirals Club and US Club, and make it open in the Priority Pass lounge system as well.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

rw175

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 02:13:23 pm

I'm also surprised that they chose not to open a club. With the amount of traffic carried by NW, it seems like a no-brainer. Add to that the fact that Midwest now codes on all NW flights out of IND. Surely there will be an increase (whether small or large) in Midwest passengers using IND as a connecting airport. I also wouldn't be surprised if Midwest upgauges to the 170 from the CRJ on the MKE-IND route if the IND codeshare with NW is successful. I'm also surprised that US Airways decided to close their club at IND several years ago. They obviously dramatically cut their flights here, but the large majority of their flights out of IND are business routes. It seems that if small places like GSO could support a club, IND could.

Fly RW

wanderer

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13:25 pm

rw175 wrote:

I'm also surprised that they chose not to open a club. With the amount of traffic carried by NW, it seems like a no-brainer. Add to that the fact that Midwest now codes on all NW flights out of IND. Surely there will be an increase (whether small or large) in Midwest passengers using IND as a connecting airport. I also wouldn't be surprised if Midwest upgauges to the 170 from the CRJ on the MKE-IND route if the IND codeshare with NW is successful. I'm also surprised that US Airways decided to close their club at IND several years ago. They obviously dramatically cut their flights here, but the large majority of their flights out of IND are business routes. It seems that if small places like GSO could support a club, IND could.

When the plug was pulled on the World club (a few months ago), A LOT of things in the industry were put on hold. It was: surviving during an economic downturn coupled with high oil prices vs. building new clubs. Obvious business decision says "save money to survive."

wanderer

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:16:03 pm

Boofer wrote:

It's ridiculous that IND shouldn't have an airline club of some sort. Hell, Buffalo and Greensboro have US Airways Clubs, for crying out loud. I think Indianapolis should open up a "purple" lounge that could serve all the airlines. Most airports in Europe and many in Asia have these. They're operated by Servisair or Menzees or some other company, and they affiliate with various airlines. I think there's one like this in SAV as well. Basically, you create the lounge and have it serve DL Crown Room, NW WorldClubs, CO PrezClub, UA Red Carpet Club, AA Admirals Club and US Club, and make it open in the Priority Pass lounge system as well.

When MDT opened their new terminal (2004), they put in a club like this. It has been very successful. Hell, DAY has a similar club.

The airport could have generated revenue somehow with a club like this. I guess they rather just have the lease revenue.

Boofer

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13:29 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

And of course, simply having a large share of the pax load at an airport doesn't justify a club on its own. You still have to have a membership to the club. Certainly, the more frequent flyers you have the higher the likelihood of having club members among them. But you don't get into the club with even a domestic first class ticket - you either have to be in World Business Class travelling that day, have a WorldClubs membership, or have a membership to another club with reciprocal access. And running a club is not a cheap affair, in my estimation. Still - wanderer is right - it's a survival thing. Any upper manager with an airline would be fired if he/she didn't immediately suspend plans for new clubs and club renovations when the economy turned sour so quickly this summer.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  Northwest/KLM  >  NW Gates & Club

Pages(s):  1