Author

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 04:41:59 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

This was the first time I'd been at National Airport since I lived there way back in the 80's. I hadn't actually seen it since the renovations were completed. I have to say, this is a really great airport. They did a great job with the terminal, especially considering the small space they had to work with. The parking garages/rental car space are easy to get in and around. The Metro stop is still there and easy to get into the terminal from the train. The space is bright and airy. And best of all, the security lines are really quite fast. It's not a huge airport, so you don't have to walk 20 miles to get to your gate. And there's a good variety of restaurants and shops to pass the time - although mostly landside rather than behind security. They could use a McDonalds or something quicker than the mostly sit-down type places to eat, but the restaurants they do have offer higher-quality fare than the typical fast grub.

Take-off/landing in and out is as cool as ever, with fantastic views of the monuments in DC. Plus, because of the airspace restrictions, you get a twisting, turning ride as you basically follow the Potomac, then bank hard to the side as you come in to land. Taking off to the north also involves a hard-ish turn to the port side as you head west to avoid flying over the secured airspace.

Definitely a good choice of airports for visiting the nation's capital.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  Trip Reports  >  IND-CLE-DCA-CLE-DCA July 14-19

Pages(s):  1