Author

Indy

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39:50 am

Indy
Site Admin

I had some questions about the international arrivals area in the new terminal. The square footage of just over 24,000 feet isn't bad. Having two arrivals gates is nice as well. But how is this going to work with one baggage claim? This is a hypothetical. But lets pretend that at 6pm a NW 757-200 arrives from AMS with 160 people on board. At 615 a NW A320 arrives from CUN with 148 people on board. This falls within the 400 people per hour capacity of the new field inspection station. But it is going to take longer than 15 minutes for the passengers from AMS to collect their bags. It is going to take closer to 30 minutes or more from the time the passengers first step off the plane until the last one has claimed bags. What is going to happen to the passengers on the CUN flight? Will they be made to sit on the plane until the baggage claim has been cleared? Or will bags from both flights get unloaded at the same time?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 02:13:50 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

It will be just like every other international arrivals hall around the world (or at least the ones I've been to: MAN, LHR, CDG, AMS, ZRH, SVO, GRU, HKG, AKL, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAD, EWR, and ATL). You get off the plane and you wait in line at immigration. You wait some more until your bags come around and there could be 12 flights with bags on the belt. Then you get your bag and you wait to go through customs. Then you wait for no apparent reason. Then if you're connecting, you wait to recheck your bags. Then you wait to go through security screening again. Then you wait for your next flight or whatever.

Believe me, even under your scenario, IND's international arrivals hall will be heaps better than most others I've gone through. Smile

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 02:55:09 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I know the odds of two flights in 15 minutes are extremely remote. As long as they are spaced out by 30 minutes there will be no problem. If there were 3 gates and 2 baggage claims it would reduce the odds of having both baggage claims used at the same time when another flight arrived. Of course that would be overkill for IND for probably 30 or 40 years.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Two International Arrivals Gates But One Baggage Claim?

Pages(s):  1