Author

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:41:31 am

Hey guys, well that was one hell of a night!

Yes the Airport police kicked us, but Ben Bain got us cleared to spot from the current Airport Ops Manager on duty, We had this AMAZING spot between the 5's on perimeter road. Before we know it a contacted security guy *get this* SMOKING on airport property LOL gets all in our case, I understand its post 9-11 but Ben had arranged a FULL AIRPORT TOUR with the Airport Ops manager, and the security guy was like "well these others men need to be properly badged" bull shit lol, so we said screw him and went to the maintance facility by the INT Ramp for our tour. Met the Airport Ops Manager we got to go in the pick up that is used to inspect the entire airport to maintain FAA regulations..... We saw SO MANY amazing things, He told us a lot of kool info, We went down the old center runway where NWA parks some AC, I never realized how big a A319 was will I was right under the wing, and he explained they charge NWA 200 bucks a night to park A/c on there, SWA also had one. He is also a pilot and was very accepting and talkative to us, and explaining how the whole Airport Ops works. We saw 5 Gulf stream 5's in elli lilly's hanger, and went past jim ersay's hanger. When we were inspecting taxi way C at C8, TWR told us to hold short 5R for a Fed EX DC10, so we get out of the car, LOL yes, at the Hold short line next to 5R and watch this sucker land right in front of us.we also drove right under a A300 FDX wing lol taxing the opposite way on the taxi way. We went to the mid-field terminal, omg that sucker is SO MUCH BIGER than what it looks like outside. We tried to get in but the doors were shut but we still drove around, the parking garage is the largest Sq ft. building in Indiana, and is 100% complete. The bottom floor will be completely dedicated to rental cars. Indy you should of stayed around, lol. The funny part was the contracted security guy was guarding the entrance/exit to the main terminal, and Smoking lol (IND property is smoke free if you didn't know) I guess he didn't see us in the back of the truck but we just kind of waved and drove by without stopping. If you guys ever need some sort of Clarence for spotting, I need your time and location,and date you'll be spotting, and I have connections to every Airport Ops manager, and I'll try to get you cleared for spotting. We need to do this again! During that day though so we can actually see. emb145, I saw your COA 737-500. But we were driving south on S. Perimeter Rd. and I didn't have the camera out. I was privileged to see the FDX 757-200 in FDX colors, what a beauty

I didn't get any pictures, probably cause I had one hell of a time, I defanitly will next time though... anyone up for round 2 Smile

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 01:39:16 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Oh man you guys suck! Smile

Should we do this again in about a week? Lets get through this mini heatwave. Do you think Ben can get us in the midfield terminal for a tour? It sounds like you guys had a great time. Are you guys usually free late at night during the week?

BTW Have Ben get signed up here. It was good talking to him yesterday. Too bad I didn't get more than a minute to say hi to the rest of you yesterday. It wasn't a total loss for me. I did come back home and get some work done on a project. It wasn't what I wanted to do but it was the next best thing.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 02:39:56 pm

idk about the tour, but I talk to Ben every day and I most certainly will make sure he gets signed up here... btw I am looking into a proposal to the Chair of Indianapolis Int. and The Board. I understand emb145 got shot down, but I will be approaching this an entirely different way...I'm outa town next week, but we need to go spot during the day the following week and get to know the Airport Ops Managers(our main key to get the green light for spotting), once we get to knows and become allies with the Airport ops managers, we need to work on security. After that I would love to make this a appealing free and open look, but since they seem to be so strict on saying post 9-11 fine.. we understand, and we'll play off it, each member would be put into a database, back ground checks. idk yet, where not there.. a possibly of course. but every Spotter would get a tag similar to Ben's but I would give us permission to spot from specified locations the board has gave us. for example the top floor of the parking garage. We also would need to call ahead, and to make it not look suspicious for people to freak out about, every time a spotter is spotting. A sign would be put up saying Spotting is currently being conducted or something around those lines, mainly to send the point to people that we are spotting, if a guest was to come along, he/ or she would have to have proof of ID, and must be written down to be put in the data base as a guest... The data base is the only problem I seem to be having right now. I have no clue if the people at IND would make one, or are they to lazy. How I got my idea.... the airport specifically said it wanted to serve and promote public, and public activity,and security, so the spotters would also be watching the airports outsides, and the airport it self (usually done while spotting) ,and if any strange activity is seen, it's a call down to the Airport police...

I understand this idea may seem a bit far fetched so shoot me some ideas, comments, and I would love to see them

This hate relationship between the board, and spotters has gone on to long, its time to make a stand, a stand for the better

Remote Image

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 02:55:38 pm

The security theory is kind of liek a neighborhood watch

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 03:33:04 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I can make databases. That is the one thing I'm good at Smile

Indy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 04:01:08 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I would also recommend allowing the airport authority royalty free use of photos we post on this site in exchange for the access. Provided of course the photographer is given full credit for the work.

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 05:16:07 pm

Very Happy Thanks Dan, once we get this whole thing rolling in the future with the board, and every thing, I plan on getting the Indy Star invololved and possibly the News Cool Indy do you have an IM of some sort we could talk over?

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 05:26:26 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I want to come up with a shirt concept for the group. I'm thinking of a white polo shirt (they are comfortable and cool) with the site name/logo over the pocket and maybe something on the back that identifies us quickly to anyone walking by. Maybe large text on the back that says Aviation Spotter. Or something like that. I can set it up using my cafepress account and set the price to cost. That way people pay what cafepress charges. No markup. I can do the same with coffee mugs, mouse pads, etc. Set everything to cost. I don't care to make a dime off of this. That isn't my motivation.

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 05:37:22 pm

sounds good man, possibly have a silhouette of IND TWR, new one on back Smile

Remote Image

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 08:02:54 pm

anyways, I thought background checks where a little out of question, and my idea would be to present this to the board after the new terminal opens, cause theres no assurance the parking garage or some other places will be left, Ben Bain 's boss who we will be working closely with, (Manager of Airport ops) will also be helping us out, along with the aiport ops managers on all shifts. Indy, and emb145. lets get that forum back up , and start working and planing twoard our cause, we don't necessarily needs everyones help on the site, as long as we work together

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:42:47 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Yeah I remember. I do think though we tried the wrong time of year to get that started. I think we should have treated it like an international route and started it up in the summer Smile

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Night Spotting

Pages(s):        2