Author

Indy

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 05:17:19 pm

Indy
Site Admin

The City of Indianapolis is seeking proposals for an 800 room hotel downtown.

"The new 800-room hotel, which could also be an expansion of an existing hotel, is set to open (if things go as planned) in 2010 alongside an expanded convention center. Even bigger conventions will be possible in 2008 with the debut of the new Lucas Oil Stadium, home to the Indianapolis Colts."

Source: Indy Star
URL: http://www.indystar.com/apps/p...AID=/20060326/NEWS01/603260467

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 09:53:25 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

There's been a lot of talk in the IBJ, etc., of the city pushing for a new giganto hotel at Pan Am plaza on the current site of the skating rink. They've also talked a lot about the Hyatt expanding into space at National City Center that's being vacated by Simon after their new building is done. The Peterson administrations wishes appear to be for one new hotel with ~800 rooms. It would be another full-line brand. We've already got Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Westin, Radisson, and Omni. So the only major full-line hotel left would be a Sheraton, a Ritz-Carlton, maybe a Fairmont or something like that. Or perhaps an Intercontinental (which also owns Holiday Inn). Maybe they'll downgrade the Crowne Plaza at Union Station to another brand and build a new Crowne. Who knows...

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 08:19:12 am

Indy
Site Admin

Five proposals are in for what would be the biggest hotel in Indianapolis. One as big as 1,000 rooms.

"Browning Marcus Joint Venture of Indianapolis. The venture is led by Michael Browning, a real estate developer who has worked on many past Downtown projects, including the Capital Center and the Downtown Marriott."

"The Bond Bank declined to release details of the proposals. And most of the companies were unavailable for comment.

But Browning confirmed he plans to build a 44-story tower on Pan Am Plaza, which sits across the street from the RCA Dome. The hotel would include 1,000 rooms and 72 residential units."

Source: Indy Star
URL: http://www.indystar.com/apps/p...060405/BUSINESS/604050387/1003

That would be impressive. A building that size could reshape our skyline. I just hope they aren't adding too much capacity. Having too many rooms could hurt the area hotels during non-event times.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 04:15:27 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

From this week's IBJ - REI investments wants to tear down the Courtyard Marriott/TGI Fridays over by victory field and build a huge complex with an 800-room convention hotel with meeting space (probably a Renaissance or JW Marriott - the top brands of the Marriott chain), a Fairfield Inn, a new Courtyard, and a Sprinhill Suites, plus a 1250-space underground parking garage and an indoor water park. It would connect via a skywalk across West Street to the Government Center parking garage and then across to the northwest corner of the convention center.

1350 rooms total, plus the parking, meeting space, and waterpark.

http://www.ibj.com/stories/html/story1.html

Indy

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 06:00:07 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Reading that story makes me wonder if we will end up getting two 800+ room hotels. One by Victory and one at Pan Am Plaza. That will certainly put Indianapolis on the mega convention map.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 06:45:16 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I don't think so. Any project of this size requires funding from the city - as did the Conrad, and the Marriott before it. So the city will manage the construction project without creating a glut of hotel space.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Indianapolis Seeks 800 Room Hotel

Pages(s):  1