Author

Boofer

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:42:33 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I was driving down 65 toward downtown at 4:46 this afternoon. There was a four-engined widebody coming in for a landing at IND. Not a 747 - no uppder deck bubble - but it had four engines under wing and winglets at the tips. No commercial airline markings - just a basic design on the tail and a white fuselage. I'm pretty sure it was an A340. Couldn't tell if it had passenger windows or was set up as cargo.

So this is exciting. It wasn't FedEx. Does Cargolux fly an A340? You don't suppose someone chartered one of those to come here for the Final Four? Or maybe some foreign government bigshot paying Indy a visit? Perhaps something that was diverted from ORD, or coming here for maintenance?

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:29:40 am

Indy
Site Admin

No markings on this jet? I looked through FlightAware for wednesday and couldn't find an A340.

Looking at what came in today there was some unusual traffic like a 757-200 for Delta

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:24:49 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Nope. No markings. I think it was cargo, because I don't recall seeing pax windows other than a few up front - but I can't be sure. Driving that fast and looking up at the plane, my mind might have played tricks. But it was definitely 4-engined, big, some kind of basic design like a double chevron on the tail, but a totally white fuselage. I looked at some pics on a.net and I'm pretty sure it was an A340. I checked flytecomm last night too, and it didn't show anything that big landing there either. That's why I was wondering if it might have been diverted from ORD.

As for the DL 757 - are you sure that's unusual? I think I've flown one out of here before to ATL. Otherwise, they're probably doing an aircraft switch to add seats heading here for the Final Four.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 02:52:59 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

OK, I did a more detailed search on a.net, and there apparently aren't any cargo versions of the A340. But this thing was definitely an A340 - I'm absolutely sure of it now.

Interestingly, there are some A340's owned by governments. Saudi Arabia has a very plain-looking one. Egypt and UAE too. And the Sultan of Brunei has a very plain white one. Is it possible someone was visiting here for some medical treatment at the IU Med Center, or maybe making some business deals? Maybe it was just a fuel stop?

There are also A340s owned by the French and Saudi air forces. Perhaps one of them stopped here?

Indy

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 08:35:48 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I see that this thing was at IND. It seems rather old. Keep in mind this is just a model Mr. Green

http://www.hobbylinc.com/gr/mmi/mmi14514.jpg

"Airline Murray Aviation
Flight Number 921
Departure City (Airport) Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Departure Time 03/30/2006 04:23 PM
Arrival City (Airport) Detroit, MI (YIP)
Arrival Time 03/30/2006 04:58 PM
Remaining Flight Time 00:00
Aircraft Type Douglas DC-8-60
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Arrived"

Certainly cargo I would think.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 09:29:14 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Bingo. That's what it was. And my eyes and memory are better than I give them credit for. Their freighters are basically white, but with a red and blue nested "M" logo. Exactly what I saw. And according to their website, they transport parts for Daimler Chrysler plants around North America, among other things. So it all makes sense.

But you can't blame me for thinking A340, right? It really looks very similar. Check out an image of the planes at http://www.murrayair.com/

And look them up on a.net - you can see the similarity.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Something BIG landed at IND today!

Pages(s):  1