Author

Indy

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 07:41:39 pm

Indy
Site Admin

We are entering the final holiday travel season of the old Indianapolis International Airport. Honestly last year should have been the last year. I believe the current facility is beyond maximum capacity. Traffic will be bad. I can't stress enough to get to the airport at least 2 hours early. Even if you are getting to the airport to greet someone I say get there earlier than you would ever have planned.

Why? I was at the airport to today (Wed Nov 7) at 4pm to pick someone up. I pull up to short term parking and see the "full" lights blinking for the garage. I'm sure it was just a malfunction. It is just another Wednesday and I've never seen the full lights on for the garage. Well. I was wrong. I get to the roof of the garage and there isn't a place to park. I must have driven around for 15 minutes waiting for a spot to open. So expect that to be worse in 2 weeks.

I get into the terminal and go over to the B/C passenger greeting area. The line to security is enormous. I still can't believe this is 4pm on a regular Wednesday. Actually this I believe is still technically a slow travel period. The line for security will only get worse. Plan for a very long wait to get cleared.

I have been to IND many times and I've never seen it this bad. This was the first time I've seen the parking full. Also when I was leaving the parking garage I hit a line of cars on the downward spiral. I've never had to sit in line on the ramp waiting to submit my parking ticket to leave.

If you are parking in the garage PLEASE prepay in the garage or baggage claim area
so you can just go. The backup on the ramp was 100% people waiting to pay for tickets. They had the path to the prepaid lanes blocked so the rest of us couldn't get by. Prepaying makes things much faster for everyone.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

ATAIndy

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:16:02 am

ATAIndy

Wow, that sounds like an absolute nightmare with parking. Looks like I won't be heading to the airport anytime soon unless I absolutely have to.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Indy

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 01:25:10 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I still can't believe it was full. It was just crazy.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 09:34:19 pm

AirTran Reporter

I wonder what it will be like tuesday morning when i take the inaugural Cape Air flight Smile

Indy

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 09:41:43 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I don't know. But you better come back with pictures. lol

7E72004

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:12:03 am

AirTran Reporter

I emailed the lady at Cape Air and asked about taking photos during the flight but no response so far. Do any stores sell "disposable video cameras?" Like the disposable cameras...if so where can i find them?

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 05:41:55 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Just ask the pilot if you can take video. He/she will likely say yes.

7E72004

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 06:37:13 pm

AirTran Reporter

That would be very nice. It is not often that i get such a good chance *lol* I am flying on Cape Air again in December so i will have another chance Very Happy

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 06:47:30 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I asked permission on my SAN-DTW flight and they let me take pictures at any time including during takeoff.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Preparing for Thanksgiving Travel

Pages(s):  1