Author

stlgph

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 05:56:57 pm

With Northwest's dream of ATA being gone finally coming true, I have a feeling they may be missing the boat here if they don't act too quickly and plug up some of the open holes.

Adding additional frequencies to Los Angeles, Orlando, Ft. Myers, Las Vegas, Tampa, and potentially trying out the nonstop market to San Francisco, would be a good way to protect their homeland turf and keep out a potential JetBlue start up at Indianapolis.

What will happen is that Northwest will sit idle, JetBlue could make their long-hoped for announcement like we've discussed along these routes, then Northwest would add frequencies along these route.

Indy

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 06:03:48 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I think the #1 thing stopping them right now is bankruptcy. I think their hands are pretty much tied for the short term. They need to settle their cost cuts with labor to make sure there isn't a strike that kills the company. Once that is settled and they make some additional fleet changes then perhaps you will see route changes. NW has been very quiet the past few months with route changes throughout their network.

BTW do you see the 787 as a possibility for IND when they get delivered in a couple of years? It would seem to be the perfect size jet for the market. Would be a nice way to introduce transatlantic service to IND. By then IND will be serving nearly 10 mil pax a year.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 08:00:23 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I think the bankruptcy ties their hands a little too. But otherwise, I'd agree with you on all those destinations except MCO. Too much competition to MCO, fares are too low to go adding capacity just to grab market share.

I also think the other competitor NW sees in the rearview is FL. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them try some point-to-points, especially for those Florida cities. Maybe even try a LAX and a SFO/OAK to head off the B6 entry.

As for IND 787's, it would still have to be to an international hub airport with connecting possibilities. I could see NW running one to NRT, and possibly NW or KLM running a 787 to AMS. Probably not much else, at least not in the short run.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 09:40:08 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I don't think anything international will happen prior to late 2008 when the new terminal opens. As much as I'd like to see it before that I just don't think the current facilities are attractive for it. Wouldn't it be nice to see a route war between NW, FL and JB?

stlgph

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54:18 am

Well if bankruptcy is what is holding them back, then their problems will just become two fold when they dump capacity into these markets if JetBlue comes in, or AirTran majorly expands.

I'm surprised some of these markets still see DC9's and haven't been upgraded to A319's, or even the Vegas and Los Angeles flight bumped up to a 757.

stlgph

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:55:59 am

Something AA does in St. Louis/Vegas, that I found interesting, is they have a Las Vegas to St. Louis dedicated 757 that makes good money for them.

The plane starts its day in Las Vegas at 7am in the morning, flies to St. Louis, turns back to Vegas, once in Vegas, turns back to St. Louis, and makes a final trip to Vegas where it overnights.

I think NWA could make the most of this with at least one of its 319's into LAX or LAS.

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 02:26:30 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I can't believe LAS and LAX are still 1x for them. Not to mention only being the A319's.

stlgph

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 05:44:17 pm

exactly. i'd think they'd toss a 757 in there or something, or do a LAX/LAS morning departure to IND, mid day return, afternoon back to IND and then evening back out to LAX/LAS.

this could work for Vegas, but perhaps there is an advantage to having that 7am departure to the west coast.

Forum Index  >  Northwest/KLM  >  Northwest might be missing the boat here...

Pages(s):  1