Author

Kirok

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:14:01 pm

Kirok

This is what I posted on another aviation forum, and thought it would relate here.

Wish me luck... I'm starting the business plan this weekend!!

"Hi Folks,

I was curious if some of you could help point me in the right direction. I reside in Indianapolis, and have seen a lot of carriers come and go in this market-- mainly USAir and ATA when they serviced the smaller cities like Evansville and South Bend.

Anyway, having worked for ATA for six years, I witnessed a lot of what lead to their demise, but admired them for wanting to go into the smaller regional scene. Seeing that there is still a viable market for connecting Indianaâ??s smaller cities, Iâ??m starting to write up a business plan for a small intrastate carrier while functioning as a charter vacation group as well to make extra cash. It would start out very small with only one ACâ?¦ maybe two as a backup.

From what I understand, Cape Air and ATA took advantage of an instate Federal grant used to promote instate carrier service. From what I understand, that is still in existence. But from what I have seen is a lack of long term commitment by these carriers to stick with these routes. Theyâ??ve statistically proven as heavy loads, yet it baffles me why USAir and ATA never stuck to marketing these routes throughout the state.

My question(s) is: Iâ??m unaware of many of the requirements Iâ??ll need to take care of before I start this off. I was considering meeting with our local FSDO office because I know Iâ??ll need a certificate to fly, but what are some of the obvious factors to consider going into this? Some friendly, proficient advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

Chris"

ATAIndy

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 03:42:32 pm

ATAIndy

Keep us updated on what information they provide you with. I'm really excited about this whole idea now.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

crj200dispatcher

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 07:30:00 pm

The fuel burn for the 135 is:
Enroute Burn: 54 pounds per minute first hour
42 pounds per minute each additional hour and holding

taxi burn including apu operation: 20lbs per minute

missed approach 50 pounds per minute min 6 minutes

crj200dispatcher

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 07:36:05 pm

Chris,

Besides backing and certificate. Aircraft/Outline of Service/Manuals..Aircraft/General Operations/Customer Service/De Icing/Ramp. Training of employees...all which has to be approved by the FAA.

Remember 121 ops, so you have to look at each city you want to serve, and the types of facility they have, and navigational aids.

All the requirements are the FAR's and you can access these through the FAA web Site

Kirok

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 01:47:12 pm

Kirok

That is VERY good information, Crj! Thank you for that!!

Iâ??ll be the first to admit, I am not all that knowledgeable in ALL the operations and its facets. Thatâ??s why I am taking my time on this, and making sure I do it right. This week alone, Iâ??ve learned how to set this up as an S-corp, and how to find/locate potential board members. I knew it would be a lot of work, but didn't realize the complexity of it all... liability insurance, tire wear/tear... wow... its a lot to digest, but well worth it.

The business plan will take some time to gather all the necessary info. Its info like the fuel burn that I needed to get some kind of idea as to how much fuel we would need on a daily basis.

If you could thoughâ??what is the ratio for the pounds per gallon. I am not sure.

Thank you, Crj!! Very Happy

Chris

Forum Index  >  Future Airlines @ IND  >  Intrastate service

Pages(s):        2