Author

Indy

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 05:34:48 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Congratulations to the hard working people at Boeing and the numerous subcontractors that made this moment possible.

First Flight

First Landing - Audio needs help but great video

Give it a few years and I feel certain we'll see the 787 flying regular service between IND and a destination in Europe like AMS or FRA. The plane is a thing of beauty. Share your thoughts on this moment.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

dswiggin

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 06:54:37 pm

I watched the live feed from the Boeing website for both the takeoff and landing. I didn't think I would like the way it looks, but it was absolutely stunning. The wing flex on departure blew my mind! I can't wait to see the wings when the plane is chock full of fuel and pax!

Indy

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 07:18:31 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Any chance it might have been under full weight for the test today?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

dswiggin

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 07:30:55 pm

I highly doubt it. I would think the first flight would never be under full weight. If you look at vids of the 757,67, and 777 first flights they all leave the rwy pretty quickly. The excessive bending on the 787 is most likely the result of the carbon fiber construction, allowing it to bend much more than a normal wing would. The jet had at least enough fuel on board for the planned 5 hour, 44 minute test flight. Aside from that, I'm guessing the cabin was empty save for some diagnostic instrumentation. I would think that later flights would include ballast tanks in the main cabin to simulate full loads and changes in center of gravity. There are many pics out there of the A380 with ballast tanks in the cabin to simulate passenger/cargo loads.

Given the flex today, I'm really excited to see what a fully loaded 787 would do when leaving for a trans-Pacific flight!

Glad to see the bird finally off the ground.

D

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Aviation History Made Today

Pages(s):  1