Author

Indy

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:40:07 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I'm making a little mileage run on NW on Nov 12th.

IND-MSP-MCI

MCI-MSP-IND

Was going to make a SEA run but that is being put off to somewhere between Dec 9th & 13th.

Total price for the IND-MCI run $129. Estimated FF miles to be earned with my 50% mileage bonus 2,800.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

stlgph

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 03:37:25 am

what times will you be in MCI?

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 03:55:23 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I'll be there from 12:39pm to 2:15pm then I head back home. Not a long stay is it? Very Happy

stlgph

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 08:20:30 pm

that's all there is to see at Kansas City though.

Indy

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 03:10:02 am

Indy
Site Admin

I discovered today that all 4 legs of my trip got 1st class upgrades Smile.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 08:08:00 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Hope you enjoyed it. The MCI airport is big; I guess you could walk the terminal for a couple hours. At least get some Arthur Bryant's barbeque while you're there.

So give us a summary of your run when you get back.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:51:31 am

Indy
Site Admin

I didn't bother walking to the other terminal but if the rest are built like the one I was in I can understand why it never worked as a hub. OMG. What a bad design. I walk off the jet and look right at security maybe 30 feet in front of me. 3 gates were enclosed in that security area. Apparently this is how the terminal is because it was built before checkpoints existed so there is no real room for a checkpoint. Bizzare. No other word for it. Oh I snapped a pic of a DL widebody at MCI. Apparently it was transporting an NFL team. Not sure if its the Chiefs or Raiders.

Service was good. God I am tired. I actually fell asleep on the last flight. I really learned something new about NW at IND when I got back. Look for info in the NW topic.

stlgph

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 03:10:46 pm

there really isn't much to that airport is there? a good mid continent location that could have fielded LOTS of commuter traffic from the Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, and perhaps even parts of Wyoming or Oklahoma or Arkansas for a stretch. definitely built in an era of a regulated airline industry.

i get to spend two hours there this week! exciting!

Boofer

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:37:45 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I think I mentioned it before, either here or on FT - MCI was designed and built in the same period as DFW and you can see reflections of the planning ideas that went into both airports. Both were stuck on huge plots of land far out from the central downtown area. And both were conceived of the semicircle-of-semicircles terminal design. Some similarities seen at EWR as well.

They actually tout the proximity of security to the gates as an advantage of MCI. But when you go through security and then realize you have to pee, it gets interesting. You end up having a little debate in your head about whether to wait until you get on the plane and up to altitude, versus going back out of the gate, taking a whiz, and then going back through security again. Fortunately, they're starting to fix this by building bathrooms within gate areas.

The thing that always strikes me about MCI is the underutilization. I think there are about 30 gates in each of the three terminals, 90 total at the airport. I would struggle to count 50-60 gates in use by a scheduled airline. Makes it tough to come up with the cash for upgrading the airport...

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Nov 12th Mileage Run on NW

Pages(s):  1