Author

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 01:10:13 am

Indy
Site Admin

I am wondering if there is a significant gate shortage at IND. I had a chance to check out the A concourse and NW has had to basically create 4 gates that are without jetways to handle the number of flights they have in at one time. Even with those 4 extra spaces they still had to park jets away from the concourse at night. I have seen other airlines doing the same after hours. So tonight I looked at the remaining incoming flights to IND for the evening (after the last departure) and here is what I found.

Southwest had 5 flights listed coming in to C9. They only have 2 gates so at best there were 3 of their jets parked off to the side.

US Air had 3 flights listed for D3 so that would leave 2 additional jets parked.

United had 2 flights listed for D9 so that would leave 1 additional jet parked.

Continental had 2 flights listed for C5 so that would leave 1 additional jet parked.

Northwest between the CRJs parked in non jetway gates and the jets they push back to the wall have at many as 6 jets standing alone.

This means there are as many as 13 jets parked without jetways. The airport has 34 jetways. This means the morning demand for jetways is approximately 47. The new terminal is schedule to open with 40 jetways and 6 hardstands. This means there is space for 46 jets. Granted you can probably park a couple of regional jets at a jetway but this means passengers have to board from the tarmac. That may not be so bad in the spring but who wants to do that in the middle of the pouring rain or in the cold and snow?

How much worse will this get by the end of 2008? With the current growth in the IND market you would be looking at approximately 50 jets sitting at IND when things get started in the morning. This will be the problem the day the new terminal opens. What about 2010? Or 2015?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

stlgph

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 01:30:45 am

i've noticed that too on the flight arrivals & departures information screen. i think it's more of a blurb in the system rather than the factual truth. if Southwest has two gates they operate from, i remember one night they showed 3 arrivals within 45 minutes of each coming in on the same gate, and did not list the other gate.

there's no way that's possible.

and in the morning when the morning rush times to come, they send out the first jet, then simply bull the other one up with the tug for the next departure. no big deal. this happens at all kinds of airports.

it happens at St. Louis where even though American has the entire C-concourse, extra ERJs park off at the former D-gates. an ERJ leaves from one of the lower numbered C-gates, and about 10 minutes later, you'll see an ERJ towed over into the empty gate.

one night at La Guardia when a hella t-storm had screwed up the midwest and i was delayed for about three hours, ATA was bringing in two arrivals to their gate within 20 minutes. one 757 came in, was unloaded and pushed back ASAP, the other 757 came in approximately 20 minutes later, was unloaded and pushed back ASAP, then the first 757 was brought back to the gate and loaded with everyone going to Chicago and making connections out west was loaded on and out in 15 minutes, then the other 757 was brought back and we boarded for Indianapolis.

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 01:39:03 am

Indy
Site Admin

The 5 WN flights weren't all C9. They were C8 and C9 even though the airport website had them listed as all C9. Still thats 5 flights for 2 gates. I confirmed each of those WN flights on iflyswa.com . They indeed arrived as listed on the airport website. Just not all at C9.

Pushbacks are understandable. Problem is the new terminal won't have room. It will have room for only 6 jets.

stlgph

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 02:44:59 am

well, 2 gates is all they need. if they need to bring in a plane and push it back to a parking spot, then so be it. probably more cost effective than taking up and staffing another gate.

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 02:49:56 am

Indy
Site Admin

Right. Thats no the big problem. Right now they have room to push back. But the story will be different with the new terminal. There will only be space for 6 jets to be pushed back. FRA is the master of the push back. When I fly in to FRA there are often a large number of jets pushed back away from the terminal. No problem there. But they have arrangements to do that. There is the tarmac space to push jets back. Also I was chatting with a Southwest pilot tonight that flies in to IND. He said he has had to wait up to 30 minutes at night for a gate to open up. That isn't good. I know the one thing that gets brought up is that turnaround times will improve with the new terminal. But what about overnight parking?

stlgph

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 02:52:04 am

when the new terminal opens, just tow them off to the old terminal.

;p

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 03:09:35 am

Indy
Site Admin

If they tow as fast as I saw a jet being towed in MSP then it wouldn't be a problem. I swear I've never seen one go that fast before. I thought to myself "I wonder if that pilot knows the tow is still attached?" Smile

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Significant Gate Shortage @ IND?

Pages(s):  1