Author

Boofer

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:33:38 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

OK, I have way too much time on my hands. I figured out how the "banker" decides what the offer will be on the new NBC game show, Deal or No Deal. At least I'm getting it figured out.

The banker takes the average of the amounts remaining on the board and multiplies by a percentage. That number is larger in the earlier rounds, so that the offer is smaller and the player is incentivized to continue playing. Which makes sense - no one would watch the show if the contestants took the money and ran all the time. So I think the percentage is equal to the round number times 10. Thus, in the first round, the banker's offer is the average of the remaining amount times 10 percent. In the second round, it's times 20 percent, then 30 percent, etc.

I haven't gone back to watch the TiVo and see if I'm right. But I think I'm pretty close to their method.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 06:54:08 am

Indy
Site Admin

I watched that for the first time last night. It looks interesting but I'm not sure it will stick around long. I think this will go by the way of Greed.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 07:37:42 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I agree. I just can't get into all the supposed excitement of all the people in the audience. It all seems very contrived. Or everyone is shooting up smack before the show. The reason I was sitting there trying to figure out the "offer" formula is because it wasn't all that exciting a game show.

And I'm not sure I have it down. It seems in the later rounds, the formula is (average remaining dollar amount)/1.25. But I can't figure out the earlier rounds. Very different divisors for the two different contestants.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

stlgph

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 04:51:54 am

Good thinking on the math.

I look for the show to pop in a couple of times a year for a week long run here and there.

NBC learned their lesson the hard way with The Weakest Link.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Deal or No Deal

Pages(s):  1