Author

Indy

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 09:41:39 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I have to wonder if another big gate shift is coming at IND. An NW rep at IND had told me they wanted more gates. Originally the plan was to take over concourse D when US Airways went under. Well US never went under. There are two gates open in C. There doesn't seem to be anything coming up soon that indicates those two gates will be taken. If NW manages to pull through this dispute with the pilots and flight attendants could we see a big gate shift happening? Of the 8 gates used in C 2 of them are very light use with a total of like 5 or 6 flights between the 2 gates. CO and WN have moderate use of their 2 gates each. The other 2 used are by FL and they have but a dozen flights between the 2 gates. All the airlines involved have ticket counters on one wall so it isn't like they have to move ticket counters. FL would be the only one that should move and they have a small counter as it is.

If NW survives this labor issue they could move their ticket counters to take over what FL is using and what TZ used. This would give them the 10 gates they wanted, plenty of space for RJ ops and a gate big enough for handling wide body service if the need came up. The end of C cetainly has more space and seating for the fleet of larger jets that NW brings in to IND with the few 757's it runs. I would think that if more space were available perhaps we'd see more 757's flying in here. Gate C2 is ideal for the RJ ops. It was used by C8 (Chicago Express). I would open the area between C2 and C4 to allow more seating and combine the two gates for all RJ service. You can use the jetways for the larger E jets if NW contracts with a carrier to provide the service. And you can use the remote parking for the CRJs and provide bus service to the jets like C8 did with the Saabs. With 10 gates it may not even be necessary. It would certainly allow for heavy traffic at any given time of day.

What are your thoughts?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:27:58 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Sure does seem like the new terminal can't come soon enough. Do you know, btw, whether all the gates in the new terminal will be able to handle any size jet, or will some be sized for RJs and some for bigger birds?

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:26:55 am

Indy
Site Admin

From what I was told the interior gates can hold the 757 and smaller. The exterior gates can hold the 747.

stlgph

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 08:51:59 pm

why does Northwest need or want more gates when they're operating at less efficiency/profieciency of gate use that they have now?

Indy

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:22:55 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Well from what I understand they were wanting a bigger operation here prior to the mess with bankruptcy and the mechanics strike. And if the info I was told was correct they will be expanding here more when things smooth out in bankruptcy (if they survive).

stlgph

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46:32 pm

well, as it is, that wont be until after the new airport terminal is constructed, or well after it is constructed, i should probably say.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Is another big gate shift coming?

Pages(s):  1