Author

Boofer

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:18:42 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Someone mentioned that all the Star Alliance carriers are in D concourse now. It got me thinking - to what extent are the airlines grouping themselves with their alliance partners at airports everywhere? And to what extent do you think they'll try to group themselves together in the new terminal?

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

7E72004

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 01:28:31 pm

AirTran Reporter

I think it makes sense to do that. If they had more gates in A, i am sure you would see at least continental there. I would not be at all surprised if they do the grouping in the new terminal but then again, you never know. But even if they kept them separate, i don't think that would hurt because unless you were connecting from Delta to Northwest or Continental at IND it would not matter.

Paintrain

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 03:35:33 pm

but if you dont fly much it can be confusing because i remember a few years a go i flew to san and it was nwa but co flew to san and nwa flew back to ind it was confusing

ATAIndy

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 03:44:11 pm

ATAIndy

I think at smaller airports it doesn't matter as much, but knowing your partners are around might provide a sense of security from other airlines.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

stlgph

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:57:11 pm

I don't really see an advantage to grouping together at an airport, unless you have a minimal operation and just want to get the name in there. Then sure it makes sense to at least get your name and your loyal fliers a chance to get in their on your own planes or express partner.

An example of this would be Continental's Cleveland hub. Delta has a handful of flights in and out of the airport and operates out of the B Concourse there without any real interruption from their other alliance airlines. Northwest operates a few express flights and a few mainline flights in and out of there, but their flights come in and out of two gates saved for them by Continental Airlines in the C Concourse. I believe Continental does the ground for them. The only reason why Northwest is there is to get what business they have in and out of Cleveland using their own service. I've been told that sometimes, since the Northwest market share in Cleveland is just so lacking, that the planes only fill up with Northwest because of Continental moving passengers backlogged from miss connections or cancellations. If this is the case, then Northwest probably doesn't make any money at all in Cleveland unless Continental cuts them a pretty sweet deal on the ground service handling for allowing them to ticket on Northwest when necessary.

I would personally just think it would be easier, say in the case of Indianapolis, since each airline has a good solid operation on their own, to keep their resources and their areas separate. That way, you dont have to have your staff feeling that they've got to cross over and watch out for the other airline, when you've got your own problems, system delays, and backlogs to deal with.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 02:44:30 pm

AirTran Reporter

True...plus, if they group them together, and let's say that CO needs to use a gate but its gates are full, they could possibly use a DL or NW gate couldn't they?

Boofer

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:08:58 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I didn't realize that about CLE. I had noticed that NW is barely there. Isn't there something to do with the CO/NW codeshare agreement that prohibits them from codesharing on hub-hub routes? i.e., they have to separately compete between CLE/EWR/IAH and DTW/MSP/MEM?

I think you're right as well at the new IND terminal. But it still might make sense to have the CO and DL gates adjacent to the NW gates, and the UA and US gates near each other, etc. Then they could at least put up a bunch of Skyteam or *A signage and whatnot, even if they don't share any ops.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Gate assignments by alliance

Pages(s):  1