Author

Indy

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 04:55:51 am

Indy
Site Admin

This may very well be why AirTran appears to have given up on IND. I've have checked the seats on both airline websites and it seems NW is killing FL on loads. I know this is very unscientific but it does shed some light.

These are for June 15th.

FL has 1 flight to LAX. The load looks maybe 40 or 50%. NW has 2 flights (A319) and the loads look in the area of 80% to 90%.

FL has 3 flights to MCO. On two of the flights the loads are absolutely terrible. We are talking about being lucky to hit 30%. The third flight is luck if its 50%. NW has 2 flights to MCO. One is nearly sold out and the other is about 50%.

FL to SFO is about 50% and NW is about 90 full.

FL runs 2 flights to TPA. Loads look about 40% on one and 50% on the other. NW has one flight and the load looks about 70%.

FL runs 4 flights to ATL on that day and the load average is MAYBE 50%. The average may be closer to 40%. NW has 8 flights to DTW and the loads will average 80% or higher. It would be 90%+ but the first flight has about a 50% load. The 5 MSP flights will have a load of 90%. The 3 MEM flights have a load of 80%+.

How can FL compete with this? NW has a very big following here and can price FL out of every route. I wouldn't be shocked to see service slashed more for 2008. It started so promising for them. Its amazing what has happened. Their loads should be better. Thats the first full week of the busy summer travel season.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Paintrain

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 09:48:04 am

what are the loads on swa like on routes like las and mco

Indy

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 03:30:52 pm

Indy
Site Admin

With Southwest I have no idea.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:09:54 am

Boofer
Site Admin

NW snags a lot of DL and CO flyers on their n/s routes ex-IND (I should know, I'm one of them). You can't underestimate the power of frequent-flyer loyalty programs. NW/DL/CO are all part of Skyteam. FL has a program, but it's only redeemable on FL.

Also, there is the connecting option for many NW flyers. The IND nonstops to the west coast are often priced lower than those out of the main hubs. So someone from, say BDL or RDU could fly to IND then to LAX or SFO for less money than going through DTW or MSP.

And one other thing, NW has been around a lot longer than FL, and I think any airline has to build up a loyal group of customers at any new station. FL can discount its way to market share, but it can't do that forever. What else does it have to offer potential new customers? XM Radio? Not that big a deal. Unless it offers routes where FL is the only n/s operator, I don't see much else that would entice me to fly FL.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

stlgph

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:02:38 pm

Airline websites are not always representative of the loads. They are mostly representative of what seats you -can- reserve.

Remember, AirTran doesn't assign seating unless you pay for it.

Forum Index  >  Airlines in General  >  NW versus FL Loads 6/15

Pages(s):  1