Author

Indy

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 05:44:23 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I think it is pretty well known that AirTran is famous for not sticking it out in new markets. They attempted to build up and quickly pulled back in Chicago - Midway. If you follow route news on this site and Airliners.net you certainly know how fast they are to pull routes. Don't need to look any further than IND-LAX/SFO/LAS/MSY. Well the Southwest secret in Milwaukee is out.

http://www.airliners.net/aviat...al_aviation/read.main/4457505/

Basically overnight (October 31st) they are adding 12 flights to 6 destinations. BWI, MCI, LAS, MCO, PHX and TPA. Four of those markets are AirTran destinations. The MKE market cannot take on 3 more flights to BWI without loads suffering greatly. MCO maybe because it is a hot winter destination. But what happens outside of Christmas and spring break? I doubt they can take two more nonstop flights to LAS. The MKE market cannot support 3 carriers and 7 daily nonstop flights to LAS. They certainly cannot support 9 daily to MCI.

AirTran leased 2 gates a year ago or so. They recently leased 2 more. I believe these were under 2 year leases. I'm betting they let the lease on those first 2 lapse.

Any guesses?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indy

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 06:29:10 pm

Indy
Site Admin

According to a post on airliners.net Frontier is going to fly Midwest routes out of MKE and they have already been loaded into travelocity.com. I checked and it is true. They are going after AirTran routes rather aggressively. The routes includes LAS, LAX, PHX, BOS, MCO, etc. Plus recently Midwest announced service to STL. All of these routes are currently service by AirTran. I think with the exception of MCO all of those routes will be dropped by AirTran by this time next year. And given the poor loads you can likely add MSP and LGA as well. There won't be much reason to keep DEN, SFO, SEA and PIT without all those other routes.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  Are AirTran's Days Numbered in Milwaukee (MKE)?

Pages(s):  1