Author

Boofer

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 03:47:58 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I've been hearing a lot about this idea lately. Some folks on the inside at UA are suggesting UA and CO might merge. Makes sense, as they have pretty complimentary fleets and routes. Except for UA's A319/A320 birds, they're all Boeing mainline. CO, of course, is all Boeing mainline. Route-wise, CO is fairly strong to Europe, with lots of service ex-EWR, albeit with a lot of it on smaller 757s. UA has lots of widebody service to Europe ex-ORD and IAD. UA also has rights to LHR, highly coveted over LGW. As for Asia, UA is superior to CO in most respects, with lots of west coast service to most major markets, service from IAD, JFK, and lots from ORD too. CO has some good routes, though, including EWR-PEK and EWR-HKG in addition to the usual NRT runs. Plus, CO has the CO Mike routes out of GUM, which nicely compliments UA's strong service to Hawaii. South America is CO's advantage. AA has the strongest network going to Central and South America, but CO is second. They fly to every little town in Mexico ex-IAH, plus good service to other countries from IAH too. Flights also from EWR to major markets like EZE, GRU, etc. Domestically, the two airlines would have an unbeatable route structure. They'd probably dehub CLE, but keep EWR (and UA's JFK transcons), IAD, ORD, DEN, IAH, and LAX/SFO.

I think it would be neutral to good for IND, as we'd see a stronger presence from the combined airline. We might see more frequency overall, but then it would probably also mean a dowgrade from mainline a/c to more RJ's.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 06:53:25 pm

Indy
Site Admin

The question would be why would CO want to merge with a company in such poor shape like UA? Why drag yourself down?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

wanderer

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:28:04 pm

This has nothing to do with what has been posted here, BUT, United is outsourcing their ramp in IND. I heard that UA will be worked by DGS (Delta Global Services). I will confirm the information!

Indy

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58:49 am

Indy
Site Admin

Who is working ground for Frontier now? Are they handling their own? I know they got their own luggage office finally.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 08:31:38 am

Boofer
Site Admin

FWIW, CO works ground for Frontier in a lot of airports, DCA for one.

As for CO-UA, they're not in such awful shape as you might think post-bk. But the reasons CO might get together with them? LHR for one. Star Alliance for two. Asian routes (that's where all the growth is) for three. ORD, LAX, and SFO for four. HNL strength for five (feeds into CO Mike and supports Japan business). West Coast dominance for six (CO's weakest part of the country). And LOTS of widebodies and 757s - something CO needs now more than anything - for seven.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:28:38 am

AirTran Reporter

Some of those luggage offices are smaller than my bedroom closet *lol*

Boofer

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 01:00:46 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

http://www.airportbusiness.com....jsp?siteSection=1&id=8835

The article says that UA is likely considering a private equity-backed merger. My bet is that after the new China route is awarded, and depending on who gets it, then we'll see an announcement about a UA merger.

The two candidates for the merger everyone is talking about are CO and DL. I think UA and CO make the most sense for the reasons in my previous post. I also think UA is going to get the new China route on their proposed IAD-PEK service. I think the second most-likely candidate is CO's EWR-PVG route. If either of those get awarded the route, soon after you'll start to hear about a private equity-backed UA takeover of CO. If NW gets the route from DTW or AA gets the route from DFW, I think you'll still hear about the merger, it just might have a few different details.

7E72004

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 09:40:30 am

AirTran Reporter

Before UA got some of the international routes from PanAm, how big was their international network?

Forum Index  >  United Airlines  >  UA-CO merger?

Pages(s):  1