Author

crj200dispatcher

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 04:47:07 pm

On Friday, May 15, 2009, I was able to drive to Columbus, Ohio, for 6 hours of spotting at CMH, with fellow enthusiast, Rich, from the Opshots group from Cleveland.

I arrived at the viewing area at approx 12:30pm, and met Rich,and he is
one of the greatest people you will ever meet, and fun to spot with.

We stayed at the viewing area, maybe 10 Min's, because we went and got lunch at McDonald's right there on the airport property, nicest McDonald's staff I have ever experienced, and then we took our food and drink to the parking garage, and the fun began.

Like I said in my first entry, CMH is regional jet heaven, but traffic is constant, and from the great advantage points on the garage, you can get some great shots. Funny, the first aircraft I see while traveling down Sawyer Road toward the viewing area, is a Chautauqua DL Conx 145 landing on 28R. And the Republic Airways Holding family is constant at CMH.

Highlights: Republic Airways/Midwest Connect EMB 170 (just a beautiful paint job on a beautiful aircraft), Pinnacle/CRJ-900 in new DL Conx colors, another beautiful plane in a great scheme that fits the aircraft. AirTran 717's one in new colors, and one in the old color scheme. I know you CLE guys are use to this plane, but a couple of CommutAir Dash 8's, and of course the Colgan Q400.

Unfortunately, the wind changed, and they switched to using runways 10R and 10L, so we just stayed on the parking garage for the day. But the official viewing area is fantastic, when utilizing the 28's for arrivals and departures. Next time Rich, and we will pull out our lawn chairs and just sit in the grass, cooler between us, and Molly on her leash roaming in the grass...LOL.

2 nice TSA agents, were walking the garage level, and stopped and spoke to us, and let me tell you guys, no hassles, asking if we were getting good shots. Kudos to the CMH TSA staff, and supporting the spotters.

Also another spotter was there, waiting for his sister arriving on Colgan's Q400 from EWR. Was given a Opshots business card, so hopefully we see a new member. And I am bad never got the guy's name. I also noticed a few other people on the garage no camera's, but scanners just watching the planes.

Oops, another highlight, Rich took me another way into the airport from the viewing area, where I got to see the Republic Airways maintenance facility, nice to see my companies Huge lettering on a building, and then in on 7'th Avenue, which was the way my dad use to drive in when I lived in CMH and he would take me to the airport, I saw certain landmarks, that just clicked my memory.

If you plan on visiting CMH, just be aware of construction on the entrance way roads, only issue. And I was concerned, about when I left at a little after 6pm, of rush hour traffic, I sailed right through, no issues at all.

Rich, thanks again for a great day!!!! And that darn hair on your lense. I will post my photos next week (old fashion film, what can I say)

But CMH is definitely a enthusiast friendly airport and worth a visit!!!

Photos to follow, took over 300, and still going through

Forum Index  >  Trip Reports  >  CMH Spotting Trip May 15, 2009

Pages(s):  1