Author

Boofer

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 06:33:15 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Well, this is the whole routing that I'll be completing soon. Am in OSL now and will be doing the rest in the next two days. Lots of fun seeing new cities, but damn I'm tired. It's 12:30 am now... Rolling Eyes

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 08:47:48 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Let me know when you start having fun. Mr. Green

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

ATAIndy

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 08:59:43 pm

ATAIndy

12:30 am? Thats not too bad, I've been up that late doing homework before. Laughing

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Boofer

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 05:39:12 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Well, 'twas a fun trip all in all, but not much sleep was had. Here are a few observations:

If you have to fly coach transatlantically, Northwest has a pretty good product. They have converted the entire transatlantic fleet to A330's, which have 2-4-2 seating and AVOD at every seat. It's not really easy to sleep in the seats, but they're nicely padded and fairly comfortable otherwise.

European airlines still have a high level of service. They still give you something to eat on the plane, whether you're in business class or in the back. Even if it's just a very simple sandwich and some tea or orange juice, it's a nice touch. They also have more flight attendants than U.S. airlines. This applies to KL, LH, and SK, at least.

European airports are very efficient. They had armies of people standing before security with little baggies helping to explain the new liquids/gels requirement and GIVING away plastic bags. Novel idea, huh? They also just generally have more people around to help you. This, at least, applies to AMS, LHR, HAM, and OSL.

Business Class on these European airlines is very different. On LH, they have flexible business class seating sections. Basically, the first dozen or so rows of the plane (a 737 in this case) are the usually 3-3 coach seats. But the middle seat has an extra-wide armrest that folds down, with two side-by-side cupholders in it. Then the forward cabin has a movable curtain to separate the sections. And these seats have an extra couple inches of legroom, too. What it becomes is a little bit nicer section of the plane, they give you nicer meals and beverages, but they can add or remove business class rows as the flights demand. Very interesting concept, something I'd experienced before on a BA CRJ. On SK, they didn't have the drop-down armrest to turn 3-3 coach seats into 2-2 business seats, but they draped a cloth over the middle seat that said "reserved for comfort." They don't sell these seats for the exhorbitant price of U.S. domestic first class seats, but then these weren't long-haul flights at all. Less than 2 hours, all of them. Interesting idea, though, and something I could see being replicated on the likes of Southwest or Frontier, or even one of the mainline carriers.

Heathrow is a very big airport, but it doesn't seem too tough to use if you're just flying in and out of one of the terminals. All the horror stories I've heard about LHR don't seem to be true if you're not flying BA and not trying to connect between terminals.

AMS is also very big, but fairly manageable. The KL employees are about the friendliest in the airline business, and the most helpful, except perhaps for Cathay and Singapore.

There is a LOT of shopping in these airports. Many places to spend your money. You think of the U.S. airport with the most shopping, and then double it, at least.

So that's it for now...next trip won't be until the new year, I think.

Indy

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 06:39:18 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Welcome back. I like AMS. What did you think of that damn recording "Mind your step"

lol

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25:25 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I like the lady on the Tube in London who says, "Mind the Gap!" better.

Forum Index  >  Trip Reports  >  IND-DTW-AMS-HAM-LHR-OSL-SVG-AMS-DTW-IND

Pages(s):  1