Author

Paintrain

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 09:49:38 pm

is that new startup thats based at columbus ohio going ever operate here?

Boofer

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:15:55 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I don't know. If they do serve IND, it won't be for very long as I seriously doubt they're going to succeed. I understand their approach, but I just don't think they're going to attract a lot of pax. They think that they can offer even lower fares, but all the LCCs keep fares very low on competitive routes now. And if you go to low, you'll be below cost, like Independence Air. They also think that people will prefer to fly Skybus because they can connect in an uncongested airport at CMH. I just don't buy that - I think if you have to connect, you can already choose less-congested airports, like CVG, MEM, CLT, CLE, IAD, or even IND, STL, MKE, SLC, PHX. These airports offer the ability to connect without the high hassle factor of ORD, ATL, EWR, JFK, et al. What people really want is the opportunity to NOT connect anywhere. And given the ability of the big airlines to drop fares and add capacity to be competitive on any route, Skybus won't have anything that offers real value to potential passengers. This is Independence Air all over again.

What would work is an airline oriented toward business and luxury leisure travellers that offered a high level of comfort and service with point-to-point service. Take Airtran's 717 aircraft and something like Midwest's seating and service scheme - say, 2x2 leather seats with decent width and padding and at least 34" pitch, courteous FAs who serve complimentary wine and beer plus actual meals. Combine that with JetBlue's DirecTV at each seat and Southwest's point-to-point route structure. Focus at first on routes between large and mid-sized cities that lack nonstop routes, and you've got a formula for success.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Paintrain

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:29:44 pm

im doubting theyll last i dont get how midwest connect and air canada last in indy now

Forum Index  >  Future Airlines @ IND  >  will skybus airlines come here

Pages(s):  1