Author

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:51:53 am

Indy
Site Admin

Does anyone know then 14/32 will be shortened? Looks like their is a blind spot with the new tower.

"Indianapolis International Airport this month will launch a highly unusual project shortening a runway.

Perhaps just as odd is the reason: Controllers in the airport's new air traffic control tower, opening next spring, won't be able to see the southern 324 feet of the 7,604-foot crosswind runway.

The FedEx hub is in the way."

http://www.airportbusiness.com....jsp?siteSection=1&id=4834

They have to shorten the runway so the new tower can see the end of the crosswind runway. I don't know how this was missed. Given the distance between the tower, Fedex and the end of the runway you would think that making the tower a few feet taller or shifting it a few feet would have solved the problem. Oh well. A little late now.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 01:07:52 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Is it really a huge deal? I've rarely been on a plane using that runway. And I don't think the biggest aircraft (757's the big FDX MD's, etc.) can use it anyway. Most of the times I've been on it have been on RJ's, don't think I've ever landed on it in a full-size bird.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 01:20:08 am

Indy
Site Admin

I think all the jets can land on it. Even the MD11 I believe. From waht I understand the real point of a crosswind runway is for landing. Perhaps taking off in the case of very strong wind. I've been to the airport early in the year for a trip and all the jets (not fedex) were using that runway for taking off because of the fuel savings. The taxi times are just too long for the parallel runways. BTW in the article it says "next spring". Does the author mean spring 2006? I can't imagine they have pushed back the opening of the tower another year.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Runway Shortening

Pages(s):  1