Author

Indy

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 03:35:30 am

Indy
Site Admin

I am trying to build a profile of the new customs and immigration facilities that will be included with the new midfield terminal. As we know the current facilities are 2nd rate at best. They are far from the main terminal and have no jetway. The new terminal will not have that problem.

The westside concourse will contain gates designated as international arrivals gates. I believe the number is three but don't hold me to that. These gates can be used for normal arrivals but what makes them unique is that they have a secured area that allows passengers leaving a plane to go behind a barrier and down to customs and immigration without ever stepping in to the main concourse. At this point they will go through passport control and pick up their luggage for inspection. There will be a dedicated baggage claim for international arrivals. According to the 2001 midfield executive summary the estimated square footage of the customs and immigration area will be 25,200 square feet. That is an area nearly 160 x 160'. To put it in perspective that is a football field from sideline to sideline and from midfield to nearly half way into the endzone. Next time you are near a school walk out to the 50 yard line. Walk to the middle of the field. Then turn and walk toward one endzone. Stop at about the 25 yard line. You could be standing nearly in the middle of the building. Or you can walk on to a basketball court and realize you are standing on something less than 1/5th the size of the new customs and immigration facility.

Granted the area may not be a big square box. This may include passport control in one area and inspections in another as well as the walk way. I am not sure if this includes customs offices or the baggage claim. The baggage claim may be included in the square footage for that area.

If you have any comments on the design of the customs facility please add your input. Questions I have include...

1) Is the number of international gates 3? I know the executive summary says 2 but I believe I was told by the project director that it would in fact be 3.

2) Will the flow be enter the station from the plane, have passport checked, go to baggage claim to retrieve luggage, proceed to inspection station, and finally exit the airport or drop off the luggage at a return location to return your luggage into the pool for a connecting flight?

3) Will there be a way to return to the concourses from customs without having to clear security once again?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

wanderer

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:17:52 am

My attempt at answers:

1) I believe there are two planned INTL arrival gates.

2) Your description fits that of most INTL arrival areas. I think that sounds about right.

3) I think TSA likes to have people screened in the U.S. - but I could be wrong. I know when you fly International into MSP, you have to go through a seperate checkpoint to get to your connecting flight. I haven't had to do a lot of international flying recently though (outside of Canadian trips). I know TSA requires all INTL arriving bags to be rescreened by TSA when they arrive in the US (even bags from Canada).

Indy

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:35:40 am

Indy
Site Admin

#1 really isn't a big deal. I thought about contacting Mr. Kish to ask him about it but he has to be swamped right now. Whether its 2 or 3 really doesn't matter. I thought it was going to be 3 and it along with the a slight change in the baggage claim area for international arrivals was part of a few adjustments to the arrivals experience. But no matter. Two or three is better than zero.

I wonder if security varies by airport or whether it is my memory? I'm thinking when I arrived in ATL a couple of years ago that I didn't have to go through security after clearing customs. I was however needing to change my connecting flight time so I had to go back in to the customs area where a service desk was and I had to go through security to get back in which I thought was odd. I don't think I had to pass through to get out of it. Of course once out I proceeded to my next gate. I don't recall the proceedure in PHL. That was my first time traveling alone with a kid. I was tired and stressed. I left the PHL terminal to have dinner so I know I had to clear security to come back in. But I don't remember if any additional security was required.

Now I know in DTW when I came back last summer from Europe I had to go through security. I dressed a little less casual and I remember having to take off the dress shoes. I'm thinking it may be fuzzy memory on the issue because I'm sure of security on the last trip but less so on previous trips. But the whole taking off the shoes things makes it clearer. So it was definately required in DTW. Possibly in ATL. And no clue in ORD or PHL.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Customs and Facilities at IND

Pages(s):  1