Author

Boofer

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 09:58:42 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

http://www.airportbusiness.com....jsp?siteSection=4&id=6997

This article talks about an expansion at MEM designed to allow FedEx and other cargo planes to operated more efficiently, without having to cross runways and share taxiways with pax planes. Some interesting comments about how MEM is paying for the improvements while still lowering landing fees - and the airport employees are taking pay cuts.

All this makes me think of parallels to IND. The third runway, if ever built, would be for cargo, primarily FedEx planes. Basically, it would allow FedEx birds to use the third runway and never have to cross the existing two or comingle with pax planes. It would also keep taxiing to a minimum. I wonder if IND would face similar funding issues to MEM if and when the third runway would be built.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 01:18:09 am

Indy
Site Admin

Interesting story. Without using tax dollars it seems MEM is selling themselves short. A great lack of space makes anything they do extremely expensive. Space is our greatest asset here. It allows alot to be done for little. Just look at what it cost to build a runway in ATL and STL. A billion dollars for a runway is just out of line. MEM is faced pretty much with the same problems.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 09:54:48 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I agree. Of course, until our third runway gets built, there's no telling how expensive it will be. It will be very close to a lot of businesses and even some residences. There could be a bunch of lawsuits that get in the way and drive up the cost.

And can you imagine if we were trying to build the third runway right now? With all the concrete you'd need for that, plus the terminal, plus the stadium, plus all the other construction going on around Indy, the concrete companies probably wouldn't be able to keep up.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:33:53 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Don't forget the expressway being built between I-70 and I-74.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Comparison to MEM (Article)

Pages(s):  1