Author

Indy

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:56:45 am

Indy
Site Admin

I think there is one huge security checkpoint and that you can get from the A side to the B side without having to go through security again.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 02:46:53 pm

AirTran Reporter

It would make sense to just have the one checkpoint because if there is a connection or someone needs to catch a plane on the other concourse for some reason, it would be more easier to not have to go thru security again. I know that PHL is bad for that. Most airports (or newer ones that is) have the one main checkpoint.

Boofer

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:10:08 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Did we ever figure out if you'll be able to go from the one "wing" of the new terminal to the other without having to re-clear security? I recall in the early designs of the terminal, there was no passage from one half to the other in the sterile area.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

ATAIndy

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:53:17 pm

ATAIndy

It would seem dumb not to be able to, but I who knows these days, maybe its more "safe."

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

duck

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:48:44 pm

I think this confusion lies in the numerous design changes that have been made to the terminal in regard to the security checkpoints. In the year after 9/11, the design called for the entire circular "civic plaza" to be one massive security checkpoint, so once past that checkpoint, one could go from concourse A to concourse B freely without having to leave the "sterile" area. In the subsequent years as TSA regulations became more clarified, they revised the design to have two checkpoints at the entry to either concourse, leaving the concourses sterile and the terminal and civic plaza not. My present thinking is that there is no way to leave the sterile concourse A and enter the sterile concourse B without exiting a security checkpoint and going through the other. I would love to clarify this point so if anyone knows for sure by all means correct me. The current thinking from a security standpoint is that the closer a checkpoint is to the actual aircraft gate the more secure the airport becomes. From a retail and concession standpoint, this is also a positive. Being that the majority of retail and concessions is concentrated around the unsecured central plaza, more people are able to eat and shop, not just ticketed passengers. This is also good for us spotters because the civic plaza will have a great view of the tarmac. Very Happy

Indy

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 02:17:37 am

Indy
Site Admin

I certainly hope they would have made a way for people to get from side to side without having to go through security again. I would hate to see them design the freedom of movement out of the plan. There needs to be an easy way for people to clear customs and be back to the air side without the need to pass through security again.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Two wings separate?

Pages(s):  1