Author

7E72004

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 02:48:08 pm

AirTran Reporter

Correct me if i am wrong but at some point a while back weren't there "tentative" plans to have a lightrail/train from downtown to the airport?

Paintrain

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:04:13 pm

i never remember hearing that only to hamilton county but it makes sense

Boofer

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 06:42:02 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Yes. There is a Central Indiana Regional Transportation Authority that is made up of representatives from the city and the surrounding counties and cities. They are tasked with developing regional transporation plans. It's been in the news over the last year or so that they've been looking at several things. Light rail to Fishers/Noblesville is one thing, dedicated bus lanes is another, and massively expanding I-69/I-465/I-70 is another. They've also looked at taking over the Clarian people mover and extending it around downtown Indy. Another idea is to run a light rail line from downtown out to the airport. The last I read about it, they were focusing their efforts on a light rail line to Fishers/Noblesville and a light rail line from downtown to the airport.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:49:12 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I'd like to see them bring monorail in and run it from IND to maybe Union Station. Or perhaps another hotel with a Disney type concept where the monorail goes right into the heart of the hotel.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 05:31:20 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I don't know if adding on to the Clarian monorail is the way to go. It runs pretty slow, and it seems to keep breaking down somewhere in the middle of the track with people on it.

I think if we ever saw light rail to the airport, you'll see a train that runs at 45 or more mph. Probably have stops near IUPUI/White River State Park, the Convention Center, Circle Center, Conseco Fieldhouse, and probably a couple stops just north of the circle, like the north side of the Chase building and over by the AUL building, then loop back around the north side of IUPUI and head back to the airport. A light rail line from Noblesville could leave from the corporate campus near I-69 exit 10, go over toward downtown N'ville, down Allisonville/37 with a stop near 146th or 141st street. Then down near 116th and I-69, then another stop near Roche at 96th St. Ideally, it would then head over to a stop near Castleton Mall and then go down to a stop in Broad Ripple. A stop near the fairgrounds would be needed, too, and then head toward downtown with a stop near 10th and Meridian, the Chase tower, Conseco Fieldhouse/Wellpoint, Circle Center Mall, the Convention Center, White River Park and IUPUI before looping back around.

Paintrain

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 08:02:32 pm

what about ims

7E72004

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:09:00 am

AirTran Reporter

I think it will happen...maybe not for a long time but with technology and the way things have developed over the last 30- 50 years, i think we will see a very modernized system in the future.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30:35 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Of course, with $1 billion for the airport, $1 billion for the stadium/conv.ctr., $130 million for the library, $XX billions for I-69 and the other road projects, millions to be given away for the new hotel, the shortfall in city finances amidst unfunded pension liabilities and already increasing city taxes, where would Indianapolis ever find the money to build a light rail system of any kind? I've heard it costs upward of $25-50 million per mile, depending on system and design. I think the Feds will kick in like 80% of the money, but that could still leave the city looking for another $150 million or more.

And, of course, if the light rail system goes up into Carmel, it will have to be clad in limestone and marble and offer private cars for the rich folks who sponsor them... Razz

7E72004

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 02:50:38 pm

AirTran Reporter

Could they use part of I-70/Airport express way to use as some sort of train system to connect downtown to IND? It would take some $$ but i think many have to realize that as we progress toward the future we will have to keep up with the changing times, even if that means paying more $$. I think it is a fact of life that things cost $$ and if we don't want to stay in the "stone age" then we will have to obviously pay to keep up.

ATAIndy

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 04:13:26 pm

ATAIndy

Instead of "stone age" maybe you should say "stay mainstream." I don't think Indianapolis is that primitive Laughing In all reality though, it would be great to see light rail here, but as you guys have already established, it would be costly and time consuming to build.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Boofer

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:00:17 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I vaguely recall a mention of running an elevated light rail track along/above the center median of I-70 from about I-465 to downtown somewhere.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Light Rail to IND

Pages(s):  1