Author

Indy

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 03:33:19 am

Indy
Site Admin

I live 10 minutes from the Rathskeller. I've heard the name tossed around before. But until a few days ago had no idea what the place was. Quite amazing if you ask me. I am part German. How much of a part? My mom is a German citizen. I love German food and beer. How could I miss a place that is according to Google a 9 minute drive from my house?

http://www.rathskeller.com

The German menu seems a bit expensive when you compare it to the likes of Denny's but I'm sure that based on photos I've seen on flickr.com the food doesn't compare. Paying in the mid $20's for a dinner isn't too out of line when comparing it to what I've seen charged at restaurants in Germany. In fact if you figure the value of the Dollar against the Euro it is pretty close. The question is how authentic is this food?

Have any of you been? Is the food worth the money in your opinion?

I'd welcome a review by anyone that has eaten there.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 03:01:10 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

If you like German food, the Rathskeller is the place for you in Indy. In fact, it's pretty much the only place, as far as I know. There used to be a joint in Zionsville called Gisella's Kaffekranschen, but it closed a year or two ago.

I think the Rathskeller is a little pricey too, but then it's not like you're going to eat there every day, right? They have a couple of good mainstays that I really like - an appetizer that's a mix of sausages, a terrific sauerbraten, and a good wienerschnitzel. I had a fantastic roladen (beef round steak pounded thin and then rolled around a filling of ground meat, grains, pickles, etc) there once, but I think it was a special and not on the regular menu. Most of it is pretty standard German fare, nothing too adventurous, and largely of the Bavarian variety moreso than Tuetonic or north German styles. And of course the beer selection is great, as you would expect.

What's most interesting to me is the building - the Athenaeum. If you learn a little about the building, the history of the neighborhood around it, etc., you'll quickly come to realize that Indy has a very strong German heritage. A large population of the early city consisted of German immigrants, who settled east and southeast of the Mile Square. (Think German Church Road, btw...) The German-ness of that side of Indy has been overlooked, IMO, by the modern-day residents and officials of the city, and a lot of evidence of it has disappeared into the sameness of modern Indy. It's funny to me that econ-development type folks in Indy have talked about promoting the cultural heritage of the city (or even inventing one - Mayor Ballard wants to create a Chinatown in Indy Confused ) but fail to promote the herittage that really exists here. Why not have an annual German festival built up with the full backing of IndyDowntown and the IEDC?

And for that matter, the northwest side of town (mostly where IUPUI is now) has a very rich heritage of African-American culture, was a creative center for Jazz and the arts, and played a role in the Civil Rights struggles of the 1960's. Sure, there's Black Expo and the Madame Walker Theater, but it just seems like there could be much more done to preserve and recognize the contribution to history of the city's African American citizens. Think Crispus Attucks High School - do you know its importance?

But anyway, this was a post about the Rathskeller. You should totally give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 04:57:03 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Thanks. I think I will give it a try Smile

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

wanderer

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:09:18 am

I got married there a month ago!

I had heard great things about the catering, and it lived up to all of the reviews. I am not a big german food fan (our wedding had items from their catering menu, not the restaurant menu), but what had was good.

I have enjoyed the beer garden quite a few times!

Forum Index  >  Indy Area Dining  >  Educate Me - Rathskeller

Pages(s):  1