Author

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:52:12 pm

Indy
Site Admin

With the booming Hispanic population in Indiana/Indianapolis and the fact that Mexico (especially Cancun) is one of the top tourist destinations from here could we ever expect to see airlines like Aeroméxico or Mexicana serving IND?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 05:19:03 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I can see it happening, sure. Just as Air Canada has a flight from here to YYZ, I can see one of the Mexican airlines serving IND. It will require that either airline be on good enough financial footing to expand to more destinations and remain profitable, but certainly there's enough demand to support a couple of daily flights to MEX and maybe even one to Monterrey. I wonder, though, how the US-Mexico agreement works. Are there any restrictions on number of flights between the two countries?

Aeromexico flies to ATL, BOS, ORD, DFW, FLL, IAH, LAS, LAX, MIA, JFK, ONT, MCO, PHX, SLC, and SAN.

I believe Mexicana flies its own metal to BWI, ORD, DFW, DEN, FAT, LAS, LAX, MIA, JFK, OAK, PDX, SAT, SMF, SFO, and SJC.

Aeromexico has a regional subsidiary, Aerolitoral, which flies to LAX, TUS, and SAT, plus a bunch of smaller destinations in Mexico. This would be the IND service if it ever were going to happen, I think.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 05:29:37 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Not having the service likely has alot to do with our international arrivals facilities. I can't help but think about that every time I notice a lack of international service.

Paintrain

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 07:05:06 pm

do either of them have a codeshare with nwa

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:49:42 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Mexicana is in Skyteam. I'm not sure how much codesharing there is directly with NW, but there should be some given the Skyteam alliance.

Aeromexico is in Oneworld, FWIW.

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 01:31:21 am

Indy
Site Admin

Once this new terminal opens alot will change. I think you will see airlines like Mexicana start service. Don't be too shocked to see someone like Lufthansa jump in if NW doesn't start AMS service. IND will be much more appealing for people in the region to fly in and out of than places like ORD which are a complete zoo. People like to talk about the benefits of frequencies. When it comes to international travel I don't think it matters as much as people think. I think international arrivals is a bigger deal. And of course how bad is the hike during a connection and how hard is it to get in and out of town if you are driving. I think IND will have the edge in most categories.

7E72004

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:06:57 am

AirTran Reporter

I think that the new terminal will be an attractive one and make people feel more comfortable than at airports like ORD. The facilities will be much more improved over ORD. I think several airlines will make their appearance. I would expect JetBlue if not sooner. I would not be surprised to see Allegiant start IND-SFD service as an alternative to MCO. Of course much can change in two years so who knows.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:25:40 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I agree that the new terminal will improve the passengers' perception of IND and Indy, and that a proper arrivals hall will remove one barrier to adding international service here. However, two things will trump that.

First, with the new terminal opening comes increased costs for the airlines. The landing fees are going up to help pay for the project, aren't they? And the leasing costs for gate/ticketing/baggage space will undoubtedly be higher - maybe much higher - than in the current terminal. The relatively low operating costs in IND have likely been an attraction for airlines here. The new terminal puts IND on par or even higher than many other airports in the region. With as cost-sensitive as the airlines are these days, any increase in costs is likely to be weighed very seriously when decisions about current and future routes are made.

Second, a new terminal doesn't change the fundamentals of the air travel market at IND. There is still the same trend in o&d traffic, the same pool of potential travellers to draw from, the same competitive geography, etc. I know it's been argued here and elsewhere that the new terminal may make more pax want to fly out of IND instead of perhaps CVG, DAY, SDF, FTW, SBN, CMI/BMI, etc. But again - while the new terminal is nice, pax are going to see its increased costs as well. The airlines will pass on the added cost of doing business at IND. Pax will also likely see higher prices for parking and concessions.

So I don't necessarily disagree with everyone's comments, I just think that it has to be the whole equation that brings expanded service and new airlines to IND, not just the terminal.

wanderer

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:32:32 am

The airport has already told the airlines about the fee increases and this will be a large factor moving forward in growth at IND.

With that, BAA or whoever will be running the airport will have the opportunity to make sweetheart deals to attract new service. But these sweetheart deals often only last as long as the sweetheart deals last.

ATAIndy

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:16:41 pm

ATAIndy

Well, I still think that international traffic will be effected by the new terminal, it's hard to deny that. Also, IND has some of the lowest fees of any midwest airport, so maybe the price increase won't be as painful as if they increased at an already expensive airport.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

7E72004

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 02:48:23 pm

AirTran Reporter

Plus, if people fly through IND in two years they will realize (hopefully) that it is a very nice airport to connect through and would rather connect there instead of ORD, CVG, or even MEM. That could spur new service as well...i of course could be wrong Smile

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:26:25 pm

Indy
Site Admin

While lease fees will certainly be higher I would think that a great deal of that would be offset by lower fuel costs associated with much shorter taxi times. Time and fuel is a big expense as well.

7E72004

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:33:17 pm

AirTran Reporter

yeah...especially when the taxi time is longer than the actual flight to chicago midway Laughing

ATAIndy

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 04:06:00 pm

ATAIndy

This is your captain speaking, we have touched down in Hendricks county, and we will now start our taxi to the terminal in Marion county. Laughing (If memory serves me right, a small portion of the airport is located in Hendricks county)

ATAIndy

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:03:59 pm

ATAIndy

I have to go against par now and say that if we do get any mexican airline, it will be a first. I've been looking at both aeromexico and mexicana's route maps, and their service to the midwest and eastern u.s. isn't overwhelming, but at least this means they will be able to expand to markets such as IND.

7E72004

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 09:41:57 am

AirTran Reporter

I think you are right. I remember hearing that the western edge of the airport is actually in Hendricks County. That will soon change in a couple of years though when the taxi times are not as long Smile

Paintrain

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 03:52:13 pm

how much money will be saved from less taxi time?

Indy

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 06:12:13 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I don't know. How much does it cost to power the engines for 15 to 20 minutes? How much does it cost in the form of crew pay for that time? Northwest operates just over 40 flights a day. If 15 minutes per flight is saved you have saved 10 hours of time. That is a huge savings for an airline. I am going to guess that it will cost an airline close to $1000 an hour to operate a jet including fuel and pay It could potentially save someone like Northwest over a quarter of a million dollars a month. Of course some jets are cheaper per hour to operate and some more expensive. I think $1000 an hour is a pretty reasonable number.

Paintrain

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 08:43:47 pm

would Volaris consider Ind?

Fit2Fly

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 04:12:36 pm

Paintrain wrote:

would Volaris consider Ind?
They may consider it given the fact that they sometimes target markets off the beaten path. They couldn't survive in GYY but back then the leadership for the Gary airport wasn't at its best.

Forum Index  >  Future Airlines @ IND  >  Aeroméxico / Mexicana

Pages(s):  1